Ex-‘Survivor’ Producer in Mexican Prison for Killing Wife, Released After Seven Years

Ex-‘Survivor’ Producer in Mexican Prison for Killing Wife, Released After Seven Years

An ex-producer for the reality TV show, “Survivor,” who was convicted of murdering his wife, is returned home to Southern California after being released from a Mexican prison.

48-year-old Bruce Beresford-Redman was released approximately two months ago after serving seven and a half years of a twelve-year sentence.

He is currently living at his home in Gardena, with his mother and his two children, reported FOX News.

Beresford-Redman was found guilty on charges of beating and strangling his wife at the time, 42-year-old Monica Beresford-Redman, in 2010.

Monica Beresford-Redman’s body was found on April 8, in a sewer cistern at a Cancun resort where the family was vacationing at the time.

The sisters of murdered woman Monica Beresford-Redman.
The sisters of murdered woman Monica Beresford-Redman (nee Burgos), Carla Burgos (Center L) Jeane Burgos (Center R) protest with supporters about delays in the extradition of suspect “Survivor” reality TV show producer Bruce Beresford-Redman, outside the Federal Court in Los Angeles on July 22, 2010. (Mark Ralston/AFP/Getty Images)

According to FOX News, in the time leading up to the murder, Beresford-Redman had been critical of his wife in emails he had sent to his mistress.

“She has denied me access to my children (and continues to do so), she has shut me out of my home, she has liquidated all my money,” he wrote.

According to Deadline.com, in 2012, Beresford-Redman maintained his innocence during a “48 Hours” television special.

“I’ve been accused of a horrible, abhorrent crime and I’m innocent,” he said. “I did not kill Mónica.”

Monica’s sisters asked CBS not to air the special before the trial’s conclusion. They feared it would negatively impact their family, reported FOX News.

Lawyer for the 2 sisters, Alison Triessl said, “It will elevate Bruce’s status to one of celebrity, it will elicit sympathy for him and most troubling, it may even influence the rightful verdict in this case.”

“As Carla and Jeane Burgos have asked CBS, ‘please do not further victimize our family,’” she added.

The Network refused to delay the broadcast, claiming the reporting would be balanced.

“We’re very conscious of the fact that this is a man accused of murder, of horrific murder,” said the executive producer of “48 Hours,” Susan Zirinsky.

Bruce Beresford-Redman.
US citizen Bruce Beresford-Redman attends a court hearing from behind a fenced window at the prison in Cancun, Mexico, on Feb. 13, 2012. (Jose Dominguez/AFP/Getty Images)

“If he is found guilty in the final judgment, then the tough conditions in that prison are exactly what he deserves. But there is a case to be proven, even if Mexico believes that you’re guilty until proven innocent.”

Bruce Beresford-Redman was later found guilty and sentenced to twelve years in a Mexican prison.

“We wanted a maximum sentence,” said state prosecutor Gaspar Armando Garcia Torres. “We asked for a maximum sentence that we considered should be 50 years for murder.”

“We’re convinced of his guilt,” he added, reported PageSix.com.

Beresford-Redman also helped produce “Pimp My Ride,” and “Breakthrough with Tony Robbins.”

- Advertisement -